Sunday, March 11, 2012

For Andrew

Let me turn this bedroom into an ancient temple
where I will peel back the callouses
of your cynicism, pain, and insecurity
and let the god within you burst forth
like the unfolding of a lotus–
the birth of a galaxy
in which every star is a moment
that you smiled
and my heart stopped.

What if you believed in divinity?
That it is inside you
and in me.
Maybe then when we are lying on this bed
your lips pressed against mine
we would melt
like wax–
one into the other
unable to discern whether it is your eyes
or mine
that this world looks so rosy through.
– Or whether we were ever truly separate beings.

I want your eyes to flash like solar flares
every time I walk into the room
rather than being turned around in a circle
by your hands
that plastic ballerina in the music-box
pirouetting before your half-lidded, unchanging eyes.
I want to be something that you must achieve
through years of pious contemplation
like nirvana–
a blissful union of Shiva and Shakti
constantly seeking to become one
and desperate to forget they were ever torn asunder.

I want to hold the most fragile piece of your heart.
The one that you keep locked up in a glass box
on that shelf that I
just
can't
reach.
Because it is too dangerous to expose
and too delicate to play with.
I will pluck it down– like the apple of knowledge–
wear it around my neck
like a locket.
Wait until everyone has left the ballroom
the lamps are fading down
there is only you and I in this circle of light

And open it.

2/18/12

1 comment: